Monday, October 20, 2008

Murphy Strikes Back!

OK, so apparently I have a couple posts in me today (or, should I say, this month). :)

Murphy #1: The day we left on vacation, I heard a strange noise coming from the side of the house. It was our A/C unit squealing like a stuck pig. :(

Cost to fix: $411


Murphy #2: My tires were already getting bald, but then I sprung a slow leak in one of them that still had a tiny bit of tread left on it. Needed to go ahead and get them replaced before bad weather hits in the coming months.

Cost for new tires: $500


Murphy #3: Driving home from Houston, the check engine light came on in Laura's van. I took it to Auto Zone so they could give me the code the computer is throwing. It needs a new catalytic converter. We haven't replaced it yet, as I am still getting quotes.

Approx. cost to repair: $600

So there you have it - $1500 worth of repairs to house and vehicles - RIGHT after spending about that much on a vacation. That is Murphy though and through.

The good news (were you wondering if there was any?): We have sinking funds set up for these items, plus because we paid off all of our debt, we have available cash for these types of things. All this really did was slow down BS3 for a month.

Being debt free rules in so many ways. Something that would have killed us 2 years ago is now no more than an inconvenience.

Come on and join us! You can throw a debt free party - we'll come and drink your (paid for with cash) alcohol with you in celebration! :)

No comments: