Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Financial Peace University

Laura and I went to FPU a couple years ago (this is the 13 week course put together by Dave Ramsey that teaches you a LOT about money management) and it was awesome.

The course itself has lots of good information, but what really made this class a worthwhile experience was the small group sessions after the main class. We would break up into groups of 8 or 10 people each and discuss the video we just watched (FPU is DVD based) along with our own money situations.

In our group we had people better off than us, worse off than us and in (basically) the same boat as us. It was great being able to be completely honest about how stupid we had been and not get looked down on or talked down to. Instead of that, we got support, encouragement and ideas about what to do. We also got to help others in the same way. If you haven't been to FPU, I highly recommend it.

All of that leads to the real point of this post. Our church is having another FPU session, and this time around I am a small group leader.

I have to say - I love it. Having 'been there, done that' I really love the opportunity to try and offer up suggestions and support to people starting the journey like we were.

I just hope the people in my group feel like I am actually offering support. ;)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so proud of you! You have a gift for helping people. Love you!